Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Thirteen Reasons Why - The Book

       Less than a month ago I created the blog 'Let's Talk About Thirteen Reasons Why'.  I reviewed the show and gave my personal opinions as well as some background information.  However, when I wrote that I had not read the book, until now.

       If you haven't read my past blog, Thirteen Reasons Why was originally a book and recently became a popular Netflix series.  The book is about a girl named Hannah who decided to commit suicide and after her death leaves tapes that mailed to specific people's houses.  These people, one way or another, play a part in her death.  The story is written in Clay's perspective, who is a former friend of hers, while he learns the truth about why Hannah Baker really took her life.

       Personally I liked the book, maybe it was because I watched the show first but I found it very interesting.  Throughout reading the story I imagined the scenes from the show as well as the characters.  The show seemed to really capture the entire book, there was so many accurate scenes and lines.  However, the tv series does include more than the book.

       I liked the fact that the book was very realistic, the way the characters were described to talk and act is similar to how teens actually talk and act today.  However, I do not like how the book only focuses on Clay's point of view, when in the show it gave a glimpse at everyone's lives.

       Overall, I would recommend the book to anyone who likes the show version of it and anyone who is interested in teen-fiction and is looking for a fast yet meaningful read.  If you haven't seen the show I strongly suggest doing so after reading the book.  The book also contains many inspirational quotes as well advice.  Although some parts of the book can be irritating I still think people should read it because it'll open your eyes more to the world around you.

My favorite quote:
“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.” ― Jay AsherThirteen Reasons Why


No comments:

Post a Comment