Monday, May 22, 2017

Getting in Touch with My Community

       We are surrounded by people every day but the people we ignore the most are the people who we live closest too, which is our commutity.  This may not be true for some teenage individuals but for me it is.  Once I reached a certain age I stopped talking to people in my neighborhood, I stopped trying to engage in any sort of conversation.  I didn't have a reason too.

       Recently I have been communicating with the people that live near me, all thanks to Zuko.  These past few two weeks I've been walking him after school around a couple of blocks and have engaged in many conversations because of it.  I actually realized I'm a very loquacious person.  Anyway, since Zuko is such a cute puppy everyone wants to pet him and they always ask questions and it sort of leads to an entire 10 minute conversation.  It makes me feel good because I like to think these people look at me and see how caring I am for my dog and how my talking skills are amazing (little bit of a long shot but you get what I mean).  I also really like showing off my dog off.

        This sort of leads me to my next point; walking Zuko has made me realize things.  When I was walking Zuko on the block behind me I saw Mary's house.  Mary is an elderly lady who I used to talk to and play with when I was a little kid.  Seeing her house made me realize I hadn't seen her in a while and how much I miss her.  So I went home and wrote her a letter and mailed it the next day.  I haven't gotten a reply yet, but I learned recently Mary has Alzheimer's.  She doesn't remember anything and she only remembers something for a minute and 30 seconds.  This made me sad and it also made me come to the realization that maybe I should start getting involved in my commutity.  And that is exactly what I'm going to start doing, with the help of Zuko of course.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment