Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Let's Talk About Thirteen Reasons Why

Disclaimer - Contains Little to No Spoilers 

       Ever since Netflix has released their new show, Thirteen Reasons Why, the interernet has been sharing quotes, gifs, spoilers, theories, and more from the show.  Each episode ranges from about 50-65 minutes and all were realeased on Friday, March 31st.  Now if you don't already know the show is based on the book Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.  Both book and show are about a girl named Hannah, who committed suicide.  It takes place a little while after her death when her former friend, Clay, receives 13 tapes.  Each tape contains one reason why she committed suicide, or more specifically which person caused her to take her life.  There's a cycle to these tapes, everything is explained in the book and show.

       I personally started watching the show the very same day it was released, almost right after school.  Now just to be clear - I haven't read the book, nor do I plan too.  I did enjoy the show overall but there were just some things that bothered me, mostly revolving around the characters.  One of the biggest things that bothered me was the overall ideas of the tapes.  I hated how Hannah Baker consistently blamed people for her death, yes some of the characters were out of line at times but some of them didn't even do anything extreme.  So the fact that they had to carry the burden of practically 'killing' someone wasn't fair.  There is definitely a lot more I have to complain about but I wouldn't want to spoil anything for anyone. 

      On the topic of spoilers, I have to say the Internet is exploding every single social media site with them (trust me I would know).  It's gotten to the point where it becomes very irritating, and I watched the show completely before I even saw them so nothing really got spoiled for me.  Big accounts on Twitter, Instgram, and Facebook are consistently writing and sharing posts that deal with the characters, plot twists, endings, and more about the show.  I honestly feel for the people who have wanted to watch it but saw the spoilers first because it's really the suspense of "what's going to happen" that makes the show really good.  People just need to respect the fact that posting spoilers isn't okay because it can ruin somebody's whole day (literally if they're watching the show that day).  I also saw a few posts stating, "Thirteen Reasons Why taught me to be nice to everyone." Like seriously?  The fact that people needed to see it first-hand before realizing the truth effects about bullying is sad.  

       Overall, Thirteen Reasons Why is a good show that I think people should watch.  I would still recommend it to people that may find it 'triggering' because it has a very inspirational message.  There are so many morals that Hannah conveys through the tapes, it's just up for the reader/watcher to distinguish Them.  Who knows, maybe this show will save other people's lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment