Friday, December 2, 2016

My Name


       I have two names, a nickname and my actually birth name. At school or any other event I introduce myself as Evelyn. With family members or people close to my family I introduce them as my nickname. Both are different personas. Evelyn is normal and kept-together, while *nickname* tends to be weirder?

       My parents chose the name Evelyn because my grandma suggested that name, they didn't have anything in mind only that they wanted it to start with an L. When my grandma suggested it they agreed and that was it. Evelyn means "little bird", but it has nothing to do with the actual reason of why my parents named me that. My nickname comes from a movie that I use to love and mispronunciation a characters name.

       No one in my direct family has my last name, my parents don't even have it. The only family that does have my last name lives in New York and we are close. My last name was my grandpa's last name from my dad's side. He passed away when my dad was a young child, when they still lived in El Salvador. When my dad, his mom, and his siblings came to the United States they used my grandma's maiden name. Overt the years, no one has changed it back and their children still have my grandma's maiden name. However, my dad did not want my grandfather's legacy to die so he named all three of his children with that last name.

       Overall, I have a lot of pride for my last name. I wouldn't change my surname, nor my maiden name even when I get married. I still want to carry my grandpa's legacy.








2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a really cool story. I love hearing about names and where they come from. It's so fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also love hearing stories behind names, they are just really interesting to hear.

      Delete